Saturday 21 March 2015

Giving Mr Magic a Chance



The headline read: “Mr Magic, Linda Sibiya to drive the Vuma FM breakfast show!” In any radio station, the breakfast show is the banner programme of the day. This is where the listeners are attracted, and the money is made. Vuma FM, a new Gospel-Music Commercial station had paid a premium to get Linda on board, but it was worth it. He is a household name, having been Mr Magic, the breakfast show host on one of the biggest National radio stations for some years. I was the technical manager at Vuma FM.

But twenty years ago, I was managing a small community radio station in the town of Pietermaritzburg. We were barely surviving, and I had more presenters than I could pay. I had many problems, one of them being a young lad from the rural areas that wanted an opportunity behind the microphone. I just did not have a vacancy, he was unknown but he was persistent. And I found that he was talented – He could sound exactly like Nelson Mandela then President. I found a slot for Linda Sibiya, and he ran a Gospel Music show, then some drive-time shows on the station before moving on.

So when we met again in the smart Vuma FM studios, we looked at each other … “I am where I am because you gave me a chance” said Linda. I felt that I had done no more than try to care for a persistent youngster – and with no great enthusiasm! It was great to see what God had done with those small seeds of persistence, and care. 

Even our smallest actions of care and respect with persistence can be used in mighty ways by God!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great story! Yes, we need to sow seeds and God will make it grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great story! Yes, we need to sow seeds and God will make it grow.

    ReplyDelete